I found out about this walk near Arborfield Cross from a lovely client whilst on a sibling photo shoot. It’s one of those walks that I would never have discovered if it wasn’t for someone sharing their local knowledge.
The walk starts on Cole Lane off the Arborfield Cross roundabout. From here you follow the path up the hill where you suddenly stumble upon Ellis’s Hill Farm with a little tearoom offering drinks, cake and it’s famous Wysipig Breakfast Bap. The farm shop sells an extensive range of Christmas products including turkey and gammon but its best known for its range of quality pork products.
From here you can take a number of different routes depending on how far the little ones legs will allow. We love exploring the woods and seem to take a different route every time we go. In Autumn this walk really comes into its own as the trees turn bright red and gold.
It has a special place in my heart as I took one of my all time favourite photos of my son playing by a little stream at the beginning of the walk. He was lost in imaginative play pretending his stick was first a sword, then a magic wand and finally something to whack his sister with. Which is when I had to put my camera down!
Often at the end of the walk we’ll either pop into the Bull Inn Arborfield for a drink or head to Lockey Farm to treat ourself to something yummy for dinner. Henry Street Garden Center is also just up the road if you’re looking for something new to plant in the garden.
- Wilder’s Folly and Sulham Woods 2.4 Mile Circular Walk
- Wargrave Chalk Pit 1.5 Mile Walk
- Simon’s Wood 1.3 Mile Walk at Finchampstead Ridges
Arborfield Cross and Wysipig Map
Address: The Bull Inn, Arborfield Cross, Reading, Berkshire, RG2 9QD
- Cross the roundabout and follow Cole Lane all the way to Ellis Hill Farm Shop (don’t forget to grab a cuppa!)
- Take a right at the crossroads and follow the path through the woods
- Take the second right and follow the path all the way down to Barkham Road
- Turn right and follow the B3349 road all the way back to The Bull Inn