Frost Folly Country Park in Warfield, Bracknell is a lovely tranquil place for a walk especially in the spring and summer months. It was generously given to Warfield Parish Council by Chris and Jean Frost who have designed and planted the area to encourage a wide range of wildlife including birds, butterflies, bees and small mammals.
The majority of the park is a wildflower meadow with a diverse range of flowers and grasses. My favourite time to visit is in the spring and beginning of summer when the meadows are full of Oxeye Daisy. The natural twisting pathways throughout the site provide the perfect way to explore the flowers. And if little legs get tired there’s plenty of benches that have been strategically placed around the site where you can rest up.
This is the perfect time to take in the views north to Maidenhead and Knowll Hill and south to Bracknell and beyond. To the east is Warfield Church of St. Michael which you could visit as a way to extend the walk. This easy access route which is suitable for wheel chairs or scooters can be found here.
In mid-summer the Oxeye Daisy gives way to Knapweed and Thistles, turning the white meadow a beautiful shade of purple.
oxeye daisy facts
- The oxeye daisy is our largest native member of the daisy family.
- It flowers from May to September.
- The yellow center of the oxeye daisy is made up of many small flowers which pollinating insects love.
- Their flower heads have been used to make tea (pretty!)
- The petals are used in the game of ‘he loves me, he loves me not’ to determine how lucky you are in love.
What to look out for at Frost Folly
- Goldfinches feeding on nuts and seeds throughout the year.
- The Skylarks song can be heard during the spring and summer.
- Yellow Flag Iris flowers during the summer months which attracts lots of bees and hoverflies.
- Redwing and Fieldfare can be seen foraging on berries during the winter months.
There’s lots of other family friendly Berkshire walks on the blog, here are some of my other favourites:
- Arborfield Cross Circular Walk With a Coffee Pitstop
- California Country Park Circular Walk, Finchampstead
- Donnington Castle Newbury 3.6 Mile Circular Walk
FROST FOLLY CAR PARK MAP
Address: Frost Folly Car Park, Wellers Lane, Bracknell, Berkshire, United Kingdom RG42 6EN